Welcome to TBMHI! This article is intended to help you get started with setting up your accounts, getting familiar with this Help Site, and introducing you to some of our services. Whether you are faculty, staff, students, volunteers, or collaborators, this site contains resources to help you get started.
Please review the entire article as it contains important steps and information. Please also provide any feedback you may have and report any broken or incorrect links.
NOTE: It can be helpful to right-click on the links below and open them in a new tab or Window so you don't 'lose' this page.
For the purpose of this article, 'Virginia Tech' refers to the main Blacksburg campus and the services it provides. 'VTCRI' refers to the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute and services and systems provided by it.
EMERGENCY CONTACTS AND ALERTS:
Please make sure you are aware of our security and emergency contact information and sign up for system alerts if you have not yet done so through Virginia Tech.
Virginia Tech and the VTCRI have policies for the access and use of information technology and related services. Review the following policies and ensure you are familiar with the guidelines and expectations therein:
HOME USE FORM:
If you will be using a VTCRI provided laptop, mobile device, or tablet you are required to review the VT Fixed Asset Policy as well as complete a Home Use Form.
USER ACCOUNTS AND PASSWORDS:
- Why do I have two user accounts and what are they for?
- Establishing or resetting your VTCRI password.
- Getting started with 2 factor authentication (2FA) for your Virginia Tech PID.
- Changing your Virginia Tech PID password.
- As a student of Virginia Tech, you will receive a VT email address:
- Assigned by Virginia Tech: PID@vt.edu
- TBMH Students don't typically receive a separate, additional VTCRI mailbox. Instead, we create an email address in our address book that is forwarded to your @vt.edu or other external account. TBMH and VTCRI faculty and staff will be able to find you in our address book and you can search for their contact information using our online people search!
- Accessing your Virginia Tech email.
You are already here! This VTCRI Help Site is intended to assist you with interacting with all services and departments within the VTCRI. Please register and create an account then explore this site and return to it often. Use your VTCRI email address to register. (NOTE: The password for this help site is separate / unique and not tied to your VTCRI credentials.)
- Navigating and using the VTCRI Help Site.
- Registering and creating an account for the VTCRI Help Site.
- Recovering a forgotten password for the VTCRI Help Site.
WIRELESS / WiFi:
The VTCRI offers wireless networking to all faculty, staff, and students. The primary wireless network is VTCRI-Wireless.
- Connect your Windows PC to the wireless network.
- Connect your Mac (OSX) to the wireless network.
- Connect your iOS device to the wireless network.
- Connect your Android device to the wireless network.
The VTCRI offers printing to all faculty, staff, and students. The primary printer for TBMH is NEON which is located in the break area in the TBMH suite.
- Connect your Windows PC to a printer.
- Connect your Mac (OSX) to to a printer.
- Overview of the Konica Minolta BizHub c368
- Print, Scan, Email, Print to/from USB, FAX
PROTECTING YOUR COMPUTER: It is important to protect your personal computer, and the networks you attach to, so please install anti-virus / anti-malware on any non-VTCRI assets if you don't already have a package installed.
1. Anti-virus malware protection recommendations.
VIDEO AND VOICE CONFERENCES: The VTCRI utilizes the Virginia Tech site license for the Zoom video and voice conferencing platform. If you need assistance with a meeting or conference, or would like a brief Zoom training session, Start a conversation with us and we will be happy to assist!
The VTCRI controls building access through a combination of cards / badges, and 2-factor fingerprint scanning for access to secured areas. Your assigned proximity card provides you access to the TBMH suite and associated resources as well as 'general' access to the VTCRI. If you find you do not have access to these locations or require additional access, please consult with faculty in your department so they may contact us and request access on your behalf.
If you have lost or misplaced your proximity access card that provides building and door access, use the Start a Conversation link on this site to submit a ticket to have it disabled and replaced.
PLEASE NOTE: If / when you are a member of a lab or department, your building access request(s) should be submitted by a supervisor in that area.