Welcome to TBMHI! This article is intended to help you get started with setting up your accounts, getting familiar with this Help Site, and introducing you to some of our services. Whether you are faculty, staff, students, volunteers, or collaborators, this site contains resources to help you get started.
Please review the entire article as it contains important steps and information. Please also provide any feedback you may have and report any broken or incorrect links.
NOTE: It can be helpful to right-click on the links below and open them in a new tab or Window so you don't 'lose' this page.
For the purpose of this article, 'Virginia Tech' refers to the main Blacksburg campus and the services it provides. 'FBRI' refers to the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute and services and systems provided by it.
COVID-19 REQUIRED SELF ATTESTATION:
Due to COVID-19 guidelines, we are screening all employees, students, and visitors who are looking to enter an FBRI facility or worksite. The time commitment to complete this survey should be minimal. Should you encounter difficulties, please let your supervisor know.
The direct link to the attestation survey is: https://fralinbiomed.info/screening
If you are entering our buildings frequently, you can make things more efficient and easier for you by adding an icon for the survey to the home screen of your phone. (Think of it as an ‘app’ or ‘shortcut’.) This article will tell you how for iPhones and Android phones.
EMERGENCY CONTACTS AND ALERTS:
Please make sure you are aware of our security and emergency contact information and sign up for system alerts if you have not yet done so through Virginia Tech.
EMERGENCY EVACUATION ASSEMBLY POINT:
1. FBRI Fire Drill and Evacuation Assembly Point.
PARKING AND CAMPUS MAP:
Please visit our Campus and Facilities page for information on the campus, parking, transportation, and more.
Virginia Tech and the FBRI have policies for the access and use of information technology and related services. Review the following policies and ensure you are familiar with the guidelines and expectations therein:
USER ACCOUNTS AND PASSWORDS:
- Why do I have two user accounts and what are they for? [When joining a lab]
- Establishing or resetting your FBRI password. [When joining a lab]
- Getting started with 2 factor authentication (2FA) for your Virginia Tech PID.
- Changing your Virginia Tech PID password.
- As a student of Virginia Tech, you will receive a VT email address:
- Assigned by Virginia Tech: PID@vt.edu
- TBMH Students don't typically receive a separate, additional FBRI mailbox. Instead, when joining a lab, we create an email address in our address book that is forwarded to your @vt.edu or other external account. TBMH and FBRI faculty and staff will be able to find you in our address book and you can search for their contact information using our online people search!
- Accessing your Virginia Tech email.
You are already here! This FBRI Help Site is intended to assist you with interacting with all services and departments within the FBRI. Please register and create an account then explore this site and return to it often. Use your FBRI email address to register. (NOTE: The password for this help site is separate / unique and not tied to your VTCRI credentials.)
- Navigating and using the FBRI Help Site.
- Registering and creating an account for the FBRI Help Site.
- Recovering a forgotten password for the FBRI Help Site.
WIRELESS / WiFi:
The default wireless network for students is Eduroam.
When you join a lab and need access to FBRI resources, you will need to join the wireless network VTCRI-Wireless.
- Connect your Windows PC to the VTCRI-wireless network.
- Connect your Mac (OSX) to the VTCRI-wireless network.
- Connect your iOS device to the VTCRI-wireless network.
- Connect your Android device to the VTCRI-wireless network.
The FBRI offers printing to all faculty, staff, and students. The primary printer for TBMH is NEON which is located in the break area in the TBMH suite.
- Connect your Windows PC to a printer.
- Connect your Mac (OSX) to to a printer.
- Overview of the Konica Minolta BizHub c368
- Print, Scan, Email, Print to/from USB, FAX
PROTECTING YOUR COMPUTER: It is important to protect your personal computer, and the networks you attach to, so please install anti-virus / anti-malware on any non-FBRI assets if you don't already have a package installed.
1. Anti-virus malware protection recommendations.
VIDEO AND VOICE CONFERENCES: The FBRI utilizes the Virginia Tech site license for the Zoom video and voice conferencing platform. If you need assistance with a meeting or conference, or would like a brief Zoom training session, Start a conversation with us and we will be happy to assist!
The VTCRI controls building access through a combination of cards / badges, and 2-factor fingerprint scanning for access to secured areas. Your assigned proximity card provides you access to the TBMH suite and associated resources as well as 'general' access to the FBRI. If you find you do not have access to these locations or require additional access, please consult with faculty in your department so they may contact us and request access on your behalf.
If you have lost or misplaced your proximity access card that provides building and door access, use the Start a Conversation link on this site to submit a ticket to have it disabled and replaced.
[How to properly use the fingerprint / biometric readers.]
PLEASE NOTE: All building access request(s) should be submitted by a PI, supervisor, Lab Manager, or assigned delegate. Access to the vivarium will be granted through the Vivarium Director.